I have a serious crush on Toblerone. It's no laughing matter. Last September I had to take my baby sister to the airport to send her off to Europe for a year abroad. Though I was really excited for her, it was really hard to say goodbye for so long. To cheer me up, J bought me one of those giant Toblerones with five bars inside. A few days later, he asked if he could have a bite of one. I hemmed and hawed for a moment before admitting that in my depression, I had eaten the entire thing. I have since banned Toblerone from the apartment because I know that I cannot trust myself with a Toblerone bar. This morning I found a cookbook for 2.99 on the discount shelf called "The Best Bakesale Ever Cookbook". Of course I had to buy it. Though I thought the title was cute and the pictures looked appetizing, what really caught my eye was the recipe for Toblerone Brownies, sold.
I was tempted to buy an extra Toblerone bar, you know for later, but I refrained. These brownies are rich and delicious, definitely not for the faint hearted. I already ate two...then spent an hour in the gym. Tomorrow I will be sending some with J to work and some to my dad. Otherwise I would be spending the day in a sugar coma.
If Toblerone isn't really your thing then you have a problem. Just kidding. I was going to say if Toblerone isn't really your thing you could easily swap it for some other chocolate you prefer. I think Heath bars would work really well. Anything that you can chop up easily. I've been toying with the idea of swapping Almond Joys but I think a more solid chocolate is ideal.
Oh and don't worry, we didn't eat brownies for dinner. We're just catching up on leftovers so I thought I'd share this with you in the meantime!
adapted from "The Best Bake Sale Ever Cookbook"
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 oz unsweetened chocolate broken into pieces
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 Toblerone bar
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray or grease an 8x8 baking pan
2. In a small microwave proof bowl, heat the butter and unsweetened chocolate in 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted. About 1 minute total. Let cool.
3. In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat eggs about 2 minutes. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Beat in the cooled chocolate mixture. Blend in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4. Chop up Toblerone into smaller bits. I chopped each pyramid into 3 pieces.
5. Spread the batter evenly in the greased pan. Bake in the center for about 30-40 minutes (Original recipe calls for 30 minutes but it took 40 in my oven) until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting.