A Glutton With Brains

"A gourmet is just a glutton with brains." Philip W. Haberman Jr.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Welcome!

My fiancé, J, and I got back a week and a half ago from a great vacation in Puerto Rico. We live in New York and it was great to get away from the cold and snow here! We decided when we got back to eat in more, save some money and get healthier. Since we've been back, we have eaten in every night. I know this doesn't seem like much but, c'mon this is NYC.

There's a lot I don't like about this city: the noise, the people, you get the point. But it does have many redeeming qualities: shows, museums, concerts and most importantly, food. Oh the food. I love eating out. I love being able to call and have hot Lo Mein at my door 20 minutes later. I love that I can take a short stroll and go to (in my humble opinion) the best diner in NY, Veselka. Seriously, folks. What could be better than a bowl of homemade chicken soup with a slice of potato bread and mushroom and sauerkraut pierogies on a cold day? Nothing, that's what. I love going down to Grimaldi's to get the best pizza in the world. I love that no matter what type of cuisine I want: Chinese, Thai, Peruvian, Southern, Sushi, Lebanese, Ukranian...I can get it even if it's 3 am.

But I also love to cook. I have aspirations of someday being a chef who gets to wear a fancy hat. I have binders full of recipes I've clipped from magazines that I still haven't tried. I have cookbooks full of post-it notes on the pages of things that sound mouthwatering delicious.

So on this 10th day of eating at home, I have decided to make a challenge out of it. J and I will eat in for the next month. This will require some planning on my part as I do most of the cooking, save the occasional nana-nutter or grilled cheese which J does wonderfully. I won't be able to have one of those lazy days and just decide to call and have something delivered. But, I think it's worth it. There are so many recipes I've been wanting to try and now I will have a reason and I will share them with you.

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment